Friday, August 12, 2011

Basho on writing haiku

Go to the pine if you want to learn about the pine, or to the bamboo if you want to learn about the bamboo. And in doing so, you must leave your subjective preoccupation with yourself. Otherwise you impose yourself on the object and you do not learn. Your poetry issues of its own accord when you and the object have become one - when you have plunged deep enough into the object to see something like a hidden glimmering there. However well-phrased your poetry may be, if your feeling is not natural - if the object and yourself are separate - then your poetry is not true poetry but merely your subjective counterfeit.

1 comment:

Mark Zipoli said...

Dear Murr, I have no other idea of how to contact you besides leaving a comment. Your blog is phenomenal. It is empowering, enlightening, and incredibly well written, with beautiful graphics. Being an ardent fan of JC Powys, I stumbled upon your blog (while in search of some kind of image to accompany my own posting of a segment from Wolf Solent), and I was so taken by it that I would like to "reprint" your essay on Wolf Solent on my blog, The Long Habit of Living (markzipoli.blogspot.com), with, of course, full acknowledgement to you. I haven't yet read Porius, so don't want to jump the gun with that essay. But really, you have one of the most erudite, sophisticated, and interesting sites I have ever encountered. If you could let me know about reprinting and of course mentioning your blog on my own and as part of a Facebook posting (so that my friends who are also Powys fans can be "in the know"), I would be most sincerely grateful. Very truly yours, markzipoli@yahoo.com